Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Politically incorrect approach to picking the President.

I recently had a conversation with an ardent supporter of President Obama. I asked him why he continued to be an ardent supporter of the President, and he came back with "why not?"
That's not much of an answer, of course. We discussed it for awhile, and he told me that President Obama had not had any support from Congress. I pointed out that for two years, the President had a Democratically controlled Congress. He said even so, the President still didn't have support, that Obama's motto was not "Yes I Can!" but "Yes We Can!"
I again pointed out that it wasn't the role of Congress to support the President; that in fact it was part of the system of checks and balances that Congress should hold the President with some suspicion, just as the President should hold Congress with suspicion, and the American people should never forget to scrutinize the actions of both the President and Congress and do so with some suspicion. Inherently, the Founders understood there had a to be a system to stop one person or one group of people form having too much power, because power corrupts.
Eventually, because this particular supporter of the President couldn't give me something concrete on which to base his support - and with great political incorrectness, I admit - I told my Obama-supporting friend that in 1976, my first Presidential election, I voted for Jimmy Carter because Carter was from Georgia (as I was) and I really wanted to see a Georgian become President!
Even more than that, for years after (sometimes to this day) I still defend Carter.
So I absolutely understand when black Americans, or African-Americans, want to support President Obama. They rightfully take great pride in seeing someone who looks like them in the position of being the head of the government. I would expect no less.
However, that also doesn't work.
See, the point of self-government is not to be a venue to express love for the president. The point of self-government is to be able to work toward programs that can bring Americans together to get something good for the entire country.
For most of us, our self-government is limited to the act of voting.
So for the Constitutions' sake, let's not forget that.
It's one clear voice that politicians understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment