Monday, April 23, 2012

I hate being stupid - and being treated like I am

I desperately want MG to talk to me.
It's been since sometime before 5 a.m. Saturday that I last heard her voice, when she said "I love you, too" because one of us always says "I love you" at the end of most of our conversations - especially lately, since we've been apart so much of the time.
I sit by her bed, and she looks like she's sleeping. I touch her hand and expect her to jump the way she would when she'd come suddenly out of a deep sleep, looking so angry at me (even though she wasn't, she was just startled). I expect her to roll over on her stomach and say, "If you really want to, you can rub my back."

It's Monday night, and everything today has been good. However, now I find that the surgery that I thought was scheduled for 8 a.m. is for 11 a.m. Thankfully it is still expected to be the final one on the abdomen, the one where they close up that part of MG's body because the swelling is going down and the healing is beginning.
And, even better, they seem to think the "orthopods" - as I call them - may actually get to her tomorrow, too. That's been the question I haven't been able to get answered. One doctor tells me the orthopedic procedure could begin as soon as the trauma surgery team is finished; another says if her vitals are good they may even let the orthopods go first; a third says no way, they won't let the ortho procedure start until the next day to give her body time to heal.
I'm a reformed reporter who spent most of my life working under the cute little wall-poster motto of "Get if first, but first get it right." I realize I'm not breaking a story here, but I am talking to people who I expect know ... but medicine, for all its science and formal training and the god-like respect we both give to doctors and some of them expect, remains an inexact practice.
That's not a knock on doctors or nurses or the medical profession. It's just a reminder that, like the rest of us, they are fallible. They have theories and ideas and opinions (as anybody who watches "House" knows), and sometimes they are wrong.
Yet most of the time they do eventually get it right.

Finally, I talk to an actual orthopedic surgeon. And all I hear is more "maybe this, maybe that, maybe this, I'd like to do that, but I might do this." Maybe it's late and I'm clearly frustrated.
So when will they do surgery on MG's pelvis? Maybe the end of the week. He'd like to wait until early next week. But they might do it tomorrow. And they might not do it at all, because the bones are kind of forming in the right spot so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But then, that's not the best thing in the world, either.
Oh, he assures me they've got MG's best interest at heart.
I do believe him. But I'm tired. I'm grumpy. I'd like to actually talk to one of these doctors face-to-face. He says he'll come by and see me tomorrow ... if he can.
I can't wait.

More disappointment.
 For some reason, I thought after the final surgery to MG's abdomen, when they'd begin to take her off the paralytic and bring her out of the medically induced coma, they'd also remove her from the ventilator.
For some reason. I thought I'd maybe get to hear MG's voice - raspy and horse and perhaps slurring her words, but I'd get to see a glimmer of the light that I know shines behind those coma-closed eyes.
Now - and it makes perfect sense - I find out it is unlikely they will remove her from the ventilator. She won't be ready to breath on her own just yet, and if there are more surgeries needed it would do more harm to re-ventilate her than to simply keep her as she is.
Plus, particularly with the broken ribs, it's going to be painful to breath. And if she doesn't take good deep breaths, she's more susceptible to pneumonia.
So the ventilator will remain part of her for the foreseeable future.
Which means no words.

I know SB and The Heir have to go back to school for final exams. But I know they want to be there if "Mama" wakes up. I know they are hoping to see her, to talk to her and see recognition in her eyes, to hear her say something back.
I don't want them to be disappointed, but I'm afraid they will be.
And I'm frustrated.

But, the night nurse tells me, she will be able to open her eyes and react. She should soon be able to follow instructions to wiggle her toes and squeeze a hand. Maybe even my hand.
Soon, we could give her a pen and paper and she can write if shes feels like it.
"And some people come out of this and write perfectly,'' the nurse tells me. "Some people think they are writing perfectly, but you can't tell what it says."
MG was always skilled in her penmanship.
You and I 'write.' MG practices 'penmanship.' It's a source of great pride for her (although she might not admit it). Those nuns from her Catholic school stressed the importance of penmanship. It was a lesson she learned well.
I hope it is instinctive.

Down the hall, I can hear the night nurse asking a patient, "Is it hurting? Where are you hurting?"
I assume he or she must be able to answer, and I'm envious.

Sometimes I am frustrated at how little progress we've made on this journey, and overwhelmed at how far we have to go.
But then, there I go - thinking about me again. I try to imagine how MG must feel. And when I do, I feel ... small.

Tracy Hipps is incredible in all this. Everyone should have a friend like Tracy. Today, he volunteered to drive to Gulfport, to my apartment, and get some of my clothes, my boots, my Bible and reading glasses and vitamins. I wrote out careful directions, described what my building looked like, wrote a map, carefully detailed exactly where in my apartment everything could be found.
I called the other two guys who live on the same floor - there are three apartments in the building, which is over a business and behind a law firm - to let them know someone was coming and would be spending the night in my apartment. I laughingly told them not to shoot him, and told Tracy that the good thing was that if he did get arrested, the building next door was home to the "Aw Shucks Bail Bondsman" service. (I love that name).
I wrote everything down, and gem-clipped my keys to the paper.
Everything was perfect.
Except I gave him the wrong key.
I hate to be stupid like that.

The vital signs are good. She's been steady throughout the day. Her room here in the trauma unit is a quiet oasis of sorts, away from the crowds in the waiting room - the crying babies, the talking families, even my own family and friends who want to be near, and I can't blame them.
But sometimes its nice just to sit here with MG, to read her the emails from friends and family, to read facebook posts about her, to read from a book or quote the words of a song or just to tell her the funny stories of the day.

I hope, somewhere behind those closed eyes and plastic tubes and matted hair, she'll wake up with her own stories.
I desperately want to hear her voice.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Ray,
    Praying you will hear her voice.
    The Cheatham Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Ray...just as I downed my morning coffee and finished my makeup, I read your blogpost and cried off the effects of both. You see, unfortunately for us both, I know exactly how you feel at the moment. And although the cause may have been different, I have sat at my mother's bedside...actually on several occasions...waiting for days for her to wake up. Listening to the doctors hypothesize -- even argue with each other -- about what to do next and how to do it. I've listened to conversations between other patients and their loved ones and longed to hear my mother's sweet Southern accent. Heck, I would've loved to have heard her scorn me...I just wanted some reaction from her. Instead, like you, I was forced to be content with giving and expecting nothing in return. I read to her; I listened to music with her; and I prayed over her desperately. My family and I clung to small victories and hit rock bottom at the slightest set back. Speaking from the other side of tragedy, I can tell you to do three things: (1) take care of yourself; (2) take care of each other; and (3) practice patient with everyone...most especially, the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray - So sorry to hear this. Keep the faith, brother. You, MG and your family are in my thoughts.
    Andy Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful you are recording the events and musings you are experiencing along this journey. And what a gift you have for doing so! I love these little "windows" you give us into Mary Grace--I never knew she took pride in her penmanship or that she liked her back rubbed. :) Thank you for your honest thoughts. I miss her voice right now, too, especially her wonderful laugh! It's Tuesday so she and Cecile and I would normally be starting our day together with prayer. That day will come again and we will rejoice when it does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always admired your writing -- the way it flows and the way it made feel like I were there. I teared up reading this one; I felt like I was there. I'm cheering for MG. Just keep doing what you do naturally -- be a good husband and a good dad. Keep us updated.
    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ray,
    I second what Neal said. Hang in there and know you have friends all over who are thinking about you and your wife and family and pulling for y'all.

    Rusty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ray and Mary Grace,
    I am still praying for y'all, but I KNOW you are in God's Hands.. He is our Great Healer! And His time is perfect.
    Again I always hold onto this scripture:

    Matthew 18:19-20
    19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

    The Power of Prayer!
    Because of Him, I am!
    Paula Richards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ray,

    Many co-op families say that Mary Grace is their first waking thought, pressed on all our hearts throughout each day. We are praying for all of you fervently and frequently. Thank you for keeping us informed. The Barbers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ray, the one thing that keeps coming back to me when I read each of your blog posts is how much you love MG. I have shared your posts on my FB wall so my friends who are praying for MG can keep up with her progress too. So many people have commented that all women want a man to love them like you love MG. We all feel like we know your family and even people who have never talked to MG have fallen in love with her. But, she's like that, you love her even if you've never met her because she is so unique and special. I have witnessed MG's unwavering faith in the worst of times, and her belief that all things work like they are supposed even if we don't understand it at the time. MG would be so proud of Sara, I read her blog and I'm proud of her for keeping her faith and believing in God to bring your family through this. Please try to sleep so you aren't so tired that you can't think straight. I know it's hard, but you have to stay well for everyone right now and not sleeping isn't going to help keep you there. Here if you need anything. Love and prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete