I'm going to be jumping around a little now that I'm trying to do updates on Mary Grace.
I've watched her lying there in bed for two days, on ventilator, in a medically induced coma and medically induced paralysis, and hurt.
I hurt for her, and I hurt for me, and I hurt for the kids and family and friends.
The messages you get from medical personal are so mixed, and I'm not good at deciphering. That was always MaryGrace's job.
We were told they'd do surgery Monday on her abdomen, and if everything looked good, then the orthopedic surgeons could go in the next day to start on the pelvis.
Then I was told that one surgery would more than likely not be enough. Typically, it takes more than one surgery to determine that everything is fine internally to allow the orthopods (my name for them) to go to work. And the surgery would only happen every other day, so if they did it Monday and didn't like what they found, they'd wait until Wednesday to go again, then Friday, then Sunday and so on ... until they saw what they wanted to see.
Then the ortho's could begin later that day or the next.
However, just after I was told that on Sunday, the surgeon came and said they didn't like the bloodwork they were getting from MG. After studying it for four hours, they decided there was something going on internally and, as the surgeon said (Dr. Cox): "Why wait 12 hours for something we can do now?"
My sentiments exactly.
So Sunday night, MG is going into surgery to see if they can find what they didn't see Saturday. With all the trauma, I'd be shocked if they didn't miss something. In addition to the previously described injuries, they determined her elevated heart rate is probably due to her heart being bruised by the busted ribs - or something - and the injury triggered something that caused her heart to start working too fast.
Not too too fast, but fast.
And the cardiologists were not overly concerned because everything else heart-related remains good.
So we face another surgery tonight, as I type this. I'll let you know what what we find out.
Regardless, it means another surgery Tuesday to do a check-over, and if that's not good then Thursday, then Saturday, then .... I don't want to think about it.
Let's pray and hope that Tuesday is it. In fact, Dr. Cox said if everything goes well tonight, then they possibly could have the orthopods ready to go Tuesday as well. Maybe even go first!
I admit to being impatient, and MG was just telling me how God was teaching her patience, that she realized she had to wait on other people ... and that's hard for MG to do, because she's so efficient and proficient. But she was learning.
Now, I have to learn. Because this is totally out of my control.
God, do the lessons always have to be this hard?