Monday, April 30, 2012

a few random stories from you guys

I know MG is not a saint (well, that's not true; as a Believer, she is a saint).
I know MG is not perfect. I am far from perfect. I am not trying to make either of us out to be perfect, or better, or that we have it all figured out.
However, I have received some incredibly encouraging facebook and email posts, and I want to keep them handy for MG to read later. So I thought I'd go ahead and share them here (although I'm not posting this link to Facebook).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had occasion to teach the New Testament Book of James. The most fascinating part, to me, is James' relationship to Jesus (assuming, as most scholars seem to do, that the book of James was written by the half-brother of Jesus). Jesus' family dynamics are a fascinating study in itself, but that's not the point here.
If I were James, I'd have started out bragging about my relationship to Jesus, kind of like that evangelist who was always billed as "Elvis Presley's brother'' or cousin or whatever he was. That's good marketing.
And I use the example of my oldest brother, Rick. He's smart and talented and is considered a Distinguished Professor at one of the top seminaries in the country (if not the world). In certain circles I can introduce myself as his brother and it opens doors (or at least starts conversations).
Anyway, Rick sent me a nice note that I wanted to share. I hope he doesn't mind, but since he preached it to a church I assume it's public domain.
He wrote:
"I intentionally used part of your blog in church this morning as an illustration and to keep it before the people who are praying for (MG).
It was how "our time" switched from her being with you to you being available to her. Point: our time with God is often understood as He being available to us for what we need. We have to turn the corner to where "our time" is we being available to Him on His terms. ..."
I know Rick would have preferred I clean that up to read exactly the way he probably said it, but I think the point is clear enough. It's a good point - just like that, instead of MG changing her life to be available to me, I now have to think about how to change my life to be available to her.
It does have spiritual connotations. We do tend to think of God as being available to us all the time. We pray our prayers and ask for His blessings and somehow expect He will bring us a 'protected life.' I was talking about that today with my good friend Gary. It's so easy to think that as Christians, we're somehow "entitled."
What we have to do is is change over to where we become available to God ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this on facebook, but I wanted to save this story for MG:

My new 'best' buddy is George. We always try to 'one up' each other, but he always wins. I have him on sports stuff, but he worked in the White House for years so he's got me on world travel and important people. ... He calls almost every day. Yesterday when he called and I answered, MG kind of woke up and looked over at me. I told her it was George and that he had a Greek Orthodox priest praying for her (George is of that faith). Of course did me one better: he said he'd already called the Patriarch ("better than the Pope!") and they'd lit a candle in the cathedral in Constantinople.
Here's the thing about George: it's probably true!

To continue the story: what is really funny is that MG's family is very Catholic. Of course, the Greek Orthodox believe the Catholic church broke away from them; the Catholics believe otherwise. Not exactly the Hatfield and McCoys - but still, kind of like why the Lutheran always takes two Baptists fishing instead of one: one Baptist will drink all the beer, while two are so busy watching each other, the Lutheran gets to keep all the beer for himself!
_______________________________________________________________

Another facebook post from our friend Sydney Wall: Just over a year ago, you and MG sat at our daughter's house until 4 in the morning, waiting for us to arrive after Mark had been killed in an auto accident. Only known to each other by telephone prior to that ...you were there for us. Then the tornadoes ... knowing you can never pay back only forward, MG engaged us in the recovery efforts at CSM. Having gone through Katrina and it's devastation, we knew of what had to be done and how many had assisted us. It is so obvious that MG is about the giving. So Steve and I will walk the docks in Gulfport ..not in your shoes but in your spirit..not as far (we are older than you) ..look at the water and not try to understand but to try to find peace . From the coast....

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helen Elizabeth Hardin There's nothing like the ICU to humble you and see more clearly that He actually is in control and we aren't. Just like scripture teaches. And I don't know of anything harder either. I'm so glad we have such a foundation for trust from our histories because it's hard to trust in ICU.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, today's best line ... and I won't reveal the name to protect the identity: "Ray, it may comfort you to know that I have a bunch of drunks praying for MG!!!"
I laughed out loud.
Then he explained: "Seriously, we still call ourselves drunks, but I spoke of her at my AA meeting."
Like I said - I hate it when the audience is funnier than the headliner ... but thanks for the laugh.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvia Benevides : Well, I am about to walk out the door with MaryGrace in my heart taking her with me to Foggy Hollow. Foggy Hollow in Webster's Chapel where MG did so much for so many. We are having the storm recovery celebration and it would not be complete without her... so I will treat her gently as I carry her with me and we will all have prayer for her continued recovery.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maureen Mcgowan Ray - just want to share with you something that MG's example has done for me. I remember as you all would visit and she would do some chore in the house, she had a habit of saying, "It is a joy and a privilege to serve others." This idea has germinated in my life and both Dad and I feel that it would be a "Great Joy and a Privilege if you would allow us to help share in MG's future care." We want to serve you, MG and the kids in any way we are able to and you are wanting us to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I am finding that I anticipate your daily reflections. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete