Monday, January 17, 2011

Dumping Samantha for Karen while traveling life's long, lonely highway

I just dumped Samantha, and now I'm hooking up with Karen.
It wasn't easy. Over the last few months, Samantha had been there to help guide me through some of the longest, loneliest, most lost moments of my life.
But I had just had enough.
Now, some of you may be thinking, "Samantha? Karen? Neither of those names belongs to 'The Trophy Wife.'''
And you'd be right.
But when you're away from home, alone - well, to keep from feeling lost during those times of seperation from The Trophy Wife, I did the same thing many of you have done.
I got a GPS.
My first GPS "voice" was American Samanatha. It was nice to have a woman's voice along on long rides through south Alabama and Mississippi, to share the beauty of the way they sun reflects off the Mississippi Sound while driving along the Gulf Coast seashore at sunset.
But right off the bat, Samantha and I got off on the wrong foot. Look, everyone knows that men don't really need directions. Especially not from a woman. Unless we ask.
And while initially it wasn't so bad, soon Samantha began to nag. It went from a nice, courteous "Turn right onto Ladnier Ave" or "in 200 feet, turn left on Acton Road,'' to suddenly a very agressive tone.
When I didn't do things the way Samantha wanted, it was "You missed the turn,'' and "Do a U-turn" and so on until I'd finally get this exasperated "Please drive to the highlighted area" - Samantha's way of saying, "I'm not talking to you again until you get back on the road like I told you!"!
Even when I was right, Samantha wouldn't leave it alone. It was frustrating to know short cuts that Samantha didn't know, and to have her sit there next to me constantly making that snide "Recalculating, recalculating'' comment.
Last night, driving back to Pass Christian from Birmingham, I had enough. I found Australian Karen, and said goodbye to American Samantha.
 I'll admit, I was attracted by the accent. And the things I've heard about Australian women - primarily that they are very understanding in their relationship to men.
We'll see.
Already it's much better. Sure, she says a lot of the same stuff.
But just like in real life, it's not so much what a woman says as how she says it.
And right now, everything Karen says sounds so darn cute!

1 comment:

  1. I miss reading Ray in The Birmingham News. This is exactly why I do not have a GPS. Happy travels Ray!

    ReplyDelete