Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Country song - if I could only remember the tune

I can't remember when I wrote this, if I wrote it alone, and if it ever had a tune. But I know it reflected the way a lot of broke-down wannabe musicians feel when performing for people who aren't all facing in the same direction (meaning they're at the bar or at tables and not necessarily there to see you).

Maybe it's not too late if you've got a melody!

Bawdy Ballad

        Bring me some gin, and I'll try to grin
         Let's sing one for mama tonight
Well it's Sunday afternoon ... and I've got the blues
Sitting in a bar by myself,
Singing a worn-out tune
There's nobody here but me
Singing this sad melody
I was here all last night, and it don't seem right
That I should be here on Sunday by three

But when I'm working I sing all the standards
Like "Help Me Make It Through The Night"
Then I throw in a bawdy ballad
Just to get their attention, once or twice
Sometimes I try to sing something I've written
A love song, from out of my past
And if she were here, I know she'd cry a tear
And hold on to each word til' the last

But they're too wrapped up in their own lives
To take a piece of my heart home tonight
            So bring me my gin, and I'll try to grin
             And sing the song halfway all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment