Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Do you really know who you're disagreeing with?

Interesting debate.
Not the one on TV Tuesday night - although that was interesting, too.
No, the interesting debates are the ones that take place on the web - on facebook, in chat rooms.

I admit to getting sucked in to the conversation. You read something in a blog or a post from a friend, and then see a follow-up comment from someone else, and someone else, and sometimes it strikes a chord and you feel compelled to jump in.
For the most part, these are good. Usually I find these to be interesting exchanges of ideas. Most of the people I tend to converse with over the internet are thoughtful, or at least funny, and pretty respectful of other people's ideas.
Another public discourse I like to read - but almost never join in - are the 'comments' section under stories posted on web sites. Those are the ones where you get people whose idea of combating ideas they don't like is the old "yo momma'' approach; where they don't offer a rational or thoughtful argument but just accuse the other person of being stupid, a redneck, a misogynist, a racist ... whatever.

Recently I got into one of those on facebook. It was a friend's page - which I have access to, obviously - on which he started a political discussion. Then one of his friends, someone I don't know, jumped in with a comment that I found to be ridiculous, so I responded.
And he responded.
And I responded.
Until it occurred to me, I don't know this guy. I don't know if he's being serious, or ironic, or sarcastic, or just trying to be funny.
Maybe he's trying to get a rise out of someone and laughing as he realizes he got to me.

I should know better.
I have a friend who started a very popular web site that includes a 'chat room.' The site deals with sports, and is incredibly popular. My friend has done quite well, since it's a pay site.
However, I once was talking about the arguments that took place in the chat room between people with made-up names (since very few people on the internet ever use their real names in posting comments).
And he told me something I should have known but hadn't thought of.
He told me he knows who all the people are who are members of his private pay site, and he knows them by their "screen name." He said he reads the discussion that takes place in those chat rooms and laughs. He told me if people knew who they were arguing with, they'd be embarrassed.
I asked what he meant, and he told me about 56-year-old highly respected and brilliant lawyers who get caught up arguing with 13-year-olds; about all kinds of professional men who get worked  up arguing with college kids.
In other words, people who, if they were actually face to face, would have a completely different tone to their conversation will, online behind screen names, get worked up because they assume everyone they are talking to is like them - similar age, similar education, similar experience.

I like to express ideas and opinions. I enjoy having people disagree with me, or sharing divergent thoughts. Those challenges are what either strengthens my conviction or causes me to re-think a position.
But hopefully with respect.

Although occasionally, a good "yo' momma'' makes me laugh.



No comments:

Post a Comment