Sunday, July 8, 2012

"... let us go into the house of the Lord"

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD
- Psalm 122

Looking back over so many of the blogs that deal with what I've labeled "the accident" (and I linked them all here in one blog, at least the many of the early ones), I realize I spent a lot of time thanking "strangers" (like here). And indeed, there have been so many people who have reached out to us in so many ways, people that I barely know, never met before this, or still haven't met but who have been sources of prayer and encouragement. People in California and Minnesota and Wisconsin and Virginia and the coast of Georgia and even foreign countries ... this side of Glory, my family may never get the chance to meet you and thank you, but know that you are appreciated, and your support and caring has been a huge source of encouragement.

But I don't know that I've fully thanked the people I do know, in particular the people of our church community. I have never taken the church community for granted. It has been a huge part of my life, all the church communities I have been part of here in Birmingham, from Dawson Memorial Baptist to Briarwood Presbyterian to Ruhama Baptist to, now, Mountain Brook Community. If that sounds like a lot of church memberships, everyone was a different stage in my life; leaving and joining was the right thing for me to do at the time.
There have also been churches that I have not been a member of that I have attended for one reason or another, or whose teaching or membership or ministry I have been impacted by.
"My" church (and it's not "mine," of course, but rather that subset of the Body that I'm aligned with here in Birmingham) has stepped up in ways that has surprised me, even as it hasn't surprised me because I've seen this church body respond in similar ways (and been blessed to share in that responding) over the years.
Still, to have people from the church almost constantly sitting together in the waiting room at UAB, even when they couldn't get back to see MG, even when I didn't want to leave MG's side to be with them, was remarkable
.
Meals, of course - people began bringing meals to feed me and the kids as soon as word got out of what had happened to MG. Providing meals is one of those traditions of the church, sometimes an easy way to minister because everyone has to eat. But meals are such a blessing - particularly to me, because I will go without eating, just not thinking about eating, until I'm biting people's heads off (figuratively) for the most minor comments because when I get hungry I can get mean.
What's worse is that I will not even think about the kids eating, and they won't say anything to me but instead just go through the pantry looking for quick fixes - cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips and cookies, whatever is easily accessible.
There is also the matter of 'sitters.' MG can't be alone for very long. I have to work. The kids all have summer jobs, internships that we were blessed for them to be able to get and will help them in the future. One of MG's oldest friends, Kathy, took it upon herself to organize a brigade of ladies to come sit with MG during the day. I can't begin to thank the ladies who come for half days, full days, until a family member can get home from work. I wish I could name them all, but I'm afraid I'd miss someone - not to mention those who have constantly offered to come be a sitter, or lately to take MG out when she needs to get out, that we haven't called upon (yet; athere is always tomorrow). The caring and support has been overwhelming.
And it has made me uncomfortable. I have written before about how uncomfortable it is to be on the receiving end of such support. But then, it is also a reminder that I am so undeserving of God's Grace and Mercy, that I didn't earn it, He gave it freely, and all I have to do is accept it. It's the same with the mercy and grace shown to us by our family and friends in this community.

Once, years ago when discussing my faith with one of those people who labels themselves "spiritual but not religious," this guy said it wasn't important to go to church because Jesus didn't go to church. Of course that's wrong. Luke 14:6 says, "He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom." (emphasis mine). And we see time after time when Jesus shows up in the synagogue or the Temple.
Today - July 8 - MG and I attended church. It's the first time since April 1 (yes - April Fools' Day) that we'd been in our regular church service. The next weekend we were celebrating MG's 50th birthday in Memphis, and attended church there (one of our great joys has been to attend churches in places we visit, to stumble or be led into a congregation that fills us and encourages us); the weekend after that we were in Charleston for Recognition Day at The Citadel. The next Saturday, April 21, was the accident.
Our plan today was to show up just before the service started, slip in a side door where MG would not have to walk very far to get to a seat, then slip out quickly after the service to put little stress and strain on her. However, that was impossible. There were too many people to see, too many people who had been praying, who had been working behind scenes, who had been supporting us, and we were overwhelmed at the number of people who came by to see and hug and cry and laugh with MG.
The service was everything both of us needed. There were baby dedications, a video highlighting the work of our church community in rebuilding a home in Pratt City (in conjunction with Christan Service Mission) that had been destroyed in the tornado over a year ago, the usual worship in music, and of course Tim's preaching.
The problem with being away from church for so long is that it becomes easy to stay away. You forget how much you need to gather with other believers, to participate in corporate worship. You stay away, and then some voice in your head starts telling you, "It's too soon. You're not ready. What difference will another week away make?'' or "You've stayed away too long; if you go back now it's just to draw attention to yourself'' or simply, "it's just too much trouble to get up and go."
And then you go and you realize what you've been missing.
It's the other people, yes; but it's more.
It's the singing, yes; but it's more.
It's the preaching, yes; but it's more.
It's the whole experience. It's being united with like-minded people expressing their devotion to God, yearning to become fully devoted followers of Christ.

We need the accountability that comes from involvement within a local church. It helps to hear sermons preached by pastors we know, that we see deal with every day situations and not just some 'voice' from a pulpit on Sunday. We need to stand in agreement with other believers and share sacraments like Baptism and the Lord's Supper. We need to be challenged to go out into service, and encouraged to do it together with others in our community.
We are creatures of community. Even in the isolation of internet world, people still long to belong to "communities" - whether virtual or fictional or legitimate attempts to reach out and meet new people.
The church offers us a very real community; a living, breathing organism that we participate in, that aches when we ache and, just as the body compensates for an injury to one member, so the community of the church responds to an injury to one of its own with comfort, aid, support, encouragement.

Not all churches do "church" the same way. There are many different styles of worship - high church, low church; formal and casual; churches with robed choirs and churches with rock bands; churches of noisy fellowship and churches of quiet contemplation.
I am painfully aware of churches that have let down its members, its community, its state and its country. I know churches have been on the wrong side of important social issues, even as there are churches that have been in the forefront of important issues.
Churches are as different as the people that fill their sanctuaries and pulpits. All are flawed to some degree; some are more aware of those flaws than others.
It's unfortunate that so often people judge God and the Gospel by their experience with a certain church. At the same time, God has chosen to make those of us who make up His Church His representatives to an unbelieving world, and sometimes we fail miserably.
I know there are those who have not had good church experiences. I've had my own share of bad experiences in the church. I've been "let down" by the church.
But I've not been let down by God.
And while I've been let down by some of the church's leaders - deacons and elders and pastors - rarely if ever have I been let down by fellow members who acted out of mercy and grace, compelled by the love of Christ to action.

That is why, like the Psalmist, I can say "I was glad when they said unto me, 'Let us go into the house of the Lord.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment